Online dating can be a great way to meet new people, but it’s important to be aware of some common online dating pitfalls that can end up damaging your chances of success. In this article, we’ll share five things online dating guys to avoid. Remember, online dating can also find your love.
Using Too Much Profanity
- Don’t swear in your online dating messages. This may come as a surprise, but many people find profanity to be unappealing. Not only will it make you appear crude and uncouth, but it could also scare away potential partners.
- Don’t be too pushy or aggressive in your messages. Many people find it difficult to maintain a healthy level of communication when they are constantly being pressured or hectored. If you want someone to message back, be patient and polite – nothing turns them off more than a guy who is demanding or confrontational.
- Don’t be too clingy or obsessive in your messages. Too much attention can make someone feel uncomfortable, and they may eventually stop responding altogether. It’s important to remember that online dating is not the same as real-life relationships – don’t expect someone to commit immediately just because you’ve been chatting for a while.
- Avoid using too many clichés or platitudes in your messages. People tend to get tired of hearing the same things over and over again, no matter how well-meaning they might seem. Try to come up with something original that describes yourself and what you’re looking for in a partner.
Being Too Demanding
There’s no need to be demanding when you’re on a date. Unless you’re trying to establish some type of power dynamic with your date, there is no need to come across as bossy or aggressive. In fact, being too demanding can actually make your date feel uncomfortable and like they are not in control.
Instead, try being more understanding and accommodating. For instance, if your date wants to go out for dinner but you’re already tired, offer to order in for both of you instead. Let them know what you’d like and let them take the lead. If they say they don’t want to do anything, that’s perfectly fine – just don’t make them feel like they have to change their mind.
Above all else, be respectful of your date’s time and feelings. No one wants to feel rushed or pressured into doing something they don’t want to do.
Not Responding Quickly to Messages
- Not responding quickly to messages can send the message that you’re not interested.
- If you do not respond to a message in a timely manner, it may make the person feel like they are not important or that you do not care about them.
- Not responding quickly can also lead the person to believe that you are not interested and may cause them to move on from you.
- If you respond slowly, it may make the person assume that you are not serious about wanting to date them and may cause them to stop messaging you altogether.
- Always be responsive to messages and show that you are interested in the other person by returning their messages in a timely manner.
Sending Unwanted Images or Messages
Online dating can be a great way to meet new people and potentially date. However, there are a few things that guys should avoid when online dating to make the process as smooth as possible for both them and their potential dates.
Here are 3 things that online dating guys should avoid:
- Sending unwanted images or messages. This includes anything that is sexual in nature, including explicit photos or messages. This can be a big turnoff for someone who is just looking to meet new people and get to know them better.
- Being too desperate or pushy. It’s important not to come across as too eager or trying too hard to start a relationship with someone you’ve only been talking to online. If someone feels like they’re being pressured into something they aren’t interested in, this can lead to frustration and eventual cancellation of the date.
- Not taking the time to get to know someone before dating them. Meeting in person is always the best way to get a good sense of whether or not someone is the right fit for you, but it isn’t always possible or practical for everyone.
Making You Feel Uncomfortable
- Being pushy or relentless in your pursuit of a date.
- Sending too many unsolicited messages.
- Making you feel like you’re not good enough or that you’re not attractive enough.
- Treating you poorly in any way, including verbal abuse or making you feel uncomfortable in your own home.
- Demanding physical intimacy when you’re not ready or willing to give it.
If you’re ready, then you can actually start dating online!